HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Batey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 09:31:01 -0500
Hello. I have been asked by the Pensacola Archaeological Society to scour
cyberspace in search of information pertaining to laws/ordinances that
protect our cultural resources--particularly at the county or city level. We
need some information so that when we approach the town elders, we will be
prepared to press our case.

Background:  We would like to formulate a local ordinance that will protect
our cultural resources as found on public property, right of ways, etc., ie,
places where there are no ordinances protecting sites.  A sight could be on
Federal, State, County, within city limits, private property and various
regulations might be applicable. We want to propose to the city elders some
sort of ordinance with examples from cities who have had experience doing
such.

Example of usefullness:  J. Digger loots a site on Rich St. in Pensacola. We
ask the Sheriff to intervene, but he doesn't know what law has been broken.
If we had a color coded map of our area showing which part of govt. is
responsible for said parcel, eg.,fed, state, county, city, we could say to
the sheriff, see here sheriff, J. Digger was on city property and here is
the ordinance that says he cannot dig.

Need: Ordinances: 1. What has been done in other cities? Successes and/or
failures.
2.  The latest ordinances, not too far back in time.  3. How did the
ordinances get formulated, offered to the local govt, adopted. 4. What has
been the best tactic.

We need a local ordinance with some teeth to protect our rich cultural
heritage --literally just below our feet here in Pensacola.

I am a senior at UWF in the anthropology program with Dr. Judy Bense and am
volunteering my services to the Pensacola Archaeology Society. Perhaps with
the help of some concerned people, we can put together an ordinance that
will help preserve our cultural resources at the local level.

Thanks for your help in this matter.
Richard Batey in Pensacola

___
                       *