HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Judy Bense <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 17:54:27 CST
TANNERIES:  Anyone know of a commercial historical tannery that has been
investigated through historical archaeology?  I am in Pensacola, Florida
where a large tannery was operated between about 1790-1820s in late
colonial period.  It was operated in conjunction with the Paton, Leslie,
Company headquartered here during the last period of Spanish ownership.
The site is in an urban residential area but has been fairly well preserved.
The standard literature is very sparse on archaeology of tanneries so I thought
 I would ask the users of this list.

Thanks,
Judy Bense, Professor
Sociology/Anthropology Department University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL 32514