HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Angie McGowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 11:24:44 +1000
Conference announcement and Call for Papers

Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology and Australian Institute
for Maritime Archaeology.
combined Annual Conference

22nd to 25th October 1995, at the CSIRO Complex, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

This year ASHA and AIMA will hold a joint conference. Sessions and papers
are called for that cross the boundaries of the two disciplines.
Participants are asked to present papers on a wide range of themes with
relevance to both areas of archaeology.  Sessions will probably be arranged
on the following themes:
cultural landscapes
maritime industries
databases and registers
comparative artefact studies
material culture and institutions of control
ethnicity in the archaeological record

The committee wishes to orient the conference towards critical reflection
of maritime archaeology, historical archaeology and cultural resource
management, incorporating a wide range of thematic issues and theoretical
approaches. What is the relationship between maritime and historical
archaeology? How often do our interests interlink? How can we best utilise
the different data we collect? The committee seeks contributions from both
maritime and historic archaeologists on these themes.

If you are interested in presenting a paper or organising a session please
contact either:

Paris Kostoglou or Mike Nash
Cultural Heritage Section
Parks and Wildlife Service
PO Box 44A
Hobart, Tasmania, 7001
(ph. 002 33 2387)
(fax 002 24 0884)

or Angie McGowan, [log in to unmask]

(It is envisaged that field excursions will be arranged for the day before
and the day after the conference.)

Angie McGowan
Cultural Heritage Section
Parks and Wildlife Service