From:
George Clarkson/SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 08:02:50 EST
I have a colony that went into winter weak - probably too weak - and is still
experiencing problems.  I am wondering if anyone on the list has any ideas. I
will give some background first:  This colony struggled all the last two years
and never really built up.  It was requeened last spring.  I treated them with
Apistan last spring and fall and with teramycin last fall.

On a recent mild day I inspected them and found them even weaker - only about
three frames of bees.  I noticed some capped brood that had holes in the
cappings.  I opened a few and there was a light brown to grey liquid inside.  It
had a thick consistency, but not gooey.  It had a bad smell, but I had to put it
directly to my nose to smell it.  No particularly bad odor was coming from the
hive, though.  The queen was present and was laying in a small pattern.

Any ideas of what I might be experiencing?

George Clarkson
Columbia, SC
USA