HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mike Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 1994 01:22:44 -0700
Fellow netters,

  For a personal memoir of WPA archaeology, see:

        Cotter, John L.
          1993  Kentucky Memoir:  Digging in the Depression.
                ARCHAEOLOGY 46(1): 30-35.

  Among several interesting photographs accompanying this article is a
marvelous one of an excavation/laboratory crew of all African-American
women, posed at a mound site somewhere in the Southeast US.  I would give
a lot to know more of the circumstances of that particular project.  Does
anyone on the list from the Southeast have more details?

  I also have a recollection of a symposium on WPA archaeology at a Society
for American Archaeology annual meeting some years back.  I haven't
checked to see if the papers were published.

  For non-US readers of the list, WPA was the Works Progress
Administration (also known as Work Projects Administration), like the CCC
(Civilian Conservation Corps) another depression era public works
employment program created by Pres. Franklin Roosevelt.  Aside from
archaeological projects, the WPA also funded a variety of projects,
including art, music, photography and writing projects.  The several state
guides prepared under the auspices of the Federal Writers' Program of the
WPA are a wonderful source of information on cultural geogrpahy of the
states during the 1930s.  Many have been reprinted in recent years.

Mike Jacobs * Arizona State Museum * University of Arizona * Tucson AZ 85721
           tel: (602)621-6312 * email: [log in to unmask]