HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Staeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 14:44:44 -0500
I appreciate His sentiments, but I've got to disagree with Larry McKee on
the issue of circulation.  It is true that many reports and other works do
get passed on through word of mouth, yet you have to be involved with the
right people to get the words from their mouths.  I wonder whether some
works do not languish in some areas because the people working in that area
simply aren't plugged into the right network.  Also, just from a purely
archival standpoint, someday the people who know and use the reports will be
gone and their students may have gone on to do other forms of research.
This means that some sources may simply be forgotten about until some
enterprising historian or archivist unearths them decades or centuries
later.  After all, has this not been the fate of many of the important maps
and charts that were produced for early European explorers/merchants?
  CD's do sound like a good idea, although we may eventually find that the
way we encode them may be problematic for future generations.

cheers - john
John Staeck                   That which does not destroy us
Anthropology Program                  might still make life stink!
Luther College                     Igor Igorson, on the occassion of
Decorah, IA 52101                       losing 4 wisdom teeth.
319-387-1284