HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Landon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 1994 15:52:42 -0600
SCIENTIFIC APPROACHES IN ZOOARCHAEOLOGY
SYMPOSIUM AT THE 1995 SAA

I am organizing a Society for Archaeological Science sponsored symposium
for the 1995 Society for American Archaeology meetings in Minneapolis,
Minnesota, May 3-7, 1995.  The primary goal is to review and assess the
state of scientific research in zooarchaeology.  Individual papers are
limited to 20 minutes, and the complete symposium would likely be 6 to 12
papers.  Possible topics: experimental studies, conservation of
archaeological bone, taphonomy, quantification, origins of domestic
animals, butchery analysis, morphometric analysis, interpreting
seasonality, bone chemistry, environmental reconstruction, etc.!  Case
studies could be included, but should be situated within a broader topical
framework.

Based on interest and results, I would like to propose the expanded
symposium papers (and/or others) as a volume in the SAS sponsored Advances
in Archaeological and Museum Studies book series.

If you are interested in participating please let me know ASAP, since the
SAA submission deadline is SEPTEMBER 23, 1994.  Please pass this to
individuals who might be interested!
Dr. David B. Landon                              [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Social Sciences                         (906) 487-2366
Michigan Technological University                FAX:(906) 497-2468
Houghton, MI 49931-1295