HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 10:12:51 EST
At the SHA, I bought a copy of Stan South's report,
"the Search for John Bartlam at Cain Hoy: America's
First Creamware Potter." It is published as Research
Manuscript Series 219 of the SC Institute of Archaeology
and Anthropology. Get it. This is vintage SSouth. For
those unfamiliar with Stan's work, all I can say is that
he is the master of connectedness. Instead of just writing
a routine report on a site, Stan has given a full-color catalogue
of the material, plus a full-color catalogue of the material from
the site that Bartlam did not make. For thirty bucks you get a
very useful full-color recognition chart of the ceramics of the
late eighteenth century in America. Can't beat it at any price.
Thanks, Stan.