HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Irwin Rovner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 1994 10:40:59 EST
The recent robust discussion re: IA and HA has been a joy
to behold.  Sooner or later my chosen position as interested
spectator was destined to come to an end - and it did when the
discussion moved out centripetally to embrace SOPA.

As a charter member and now Board member, and an "academic" who
studiously avoids primary involvement in CRM work, I want to point
out that there is a clear answer to "What is SOPA anyway?"  The
answer is NOT that SOPA is "a perfect organization" - which like
"military intelligence" or "bureaucratic efficiency" is an oxymoron.
The answer comes from looking carefully at the title.  The
essential word is NOT "archaeology" which is the typical superficial
focus. Lots of societies from county-level to international
legitimately incorporate the term in their titles respectively and
do include knowledgable and competent people without degrees,
often referred to as "amateur archaeologists" who make positive
contributions to archaeology/cultural resources management.  This is
not the central issue.

Having an appropriate degree means that one is "qualified" with the
further qualification that this does not absolutely guarantee that
one is competent.  Nevertheless, I do not seek an "amateur surgeon"
to have my gall bladder removed or an "amateur lawyer" to defend me
in the Mikado's court against charges of the crime of flirting or
applaud hiring an "amateur librarian" to supervise my university
library's reference desk. I am sure there exists in this world
some people who would be more competent to do these jobs than some
who have relevant degrees and do them.  However, as Damon Runyon said
(quoted from my inexact memory), "The race is not always to the swift
nor victory always to the strong - but the smart money always bets
that way." The key term in the SOPA title is: PROFESSIONAL.

Irwin Rovner