From:
Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 18:07:02 PST
>Maybe I am beating a dead horse, but in what way does this charter differ
>from Bee-L??????

For one thing, it's NOT A MAILING LIST.  It's a USENET NEWS GROUP.  This
means no esoteric knowledge of its existance is needed, you don't have email
cluttering up your box if you're only a casual occasional reader, and ITS
A **USENET NEWS** group, so all those "America OnLine" folks can drop in
and get info on beekeeping, chat about whether Africanized bees are killer
bees or not, and the folks who don't know bees from wasps will have somewhere
to go to find out *real information*, when they start talking about the "bees
attacking my hotdogs" in USENET NEWS GROUPS like misc.rural.  And USENET
GROUPS like rec.gardens will have somewhere to refer folks who say "I'd like
to talk about bees, are there any beekeeping groups *ON USENET*?  This last
factor is called "accessibility."  To casual netters.

And "Malibu Skipper" et.al. maybe will periodically disrupt *them* and not
the bee list!

Excuse me for yelling in the paragraph above, but sometimes it's necessary
to emphasize the difference between this list and the general Usenet.  If
you want more information on Usenet, I urge you to drop into a couple Usenet
newsgroups such as those cited and peruse the tenor and content.

Personally, I also think the Usenet group might make a great screening device
for people who are serious enough to want to subscribe to the bee list...

Getting tired of explaining Usenet News...
Jane Beckman  [[log in to unmask]]