From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:47:05 -0400
" I submit that evolution requires specific time scales and isolation to effect significant changes in populations, whereas breeding is constrained ,
> making blanket statements about "this is the way it has to happen"  is not a wise choice.

Perhaps I phrased it poorly, I think we are in agreement on this point. I am objecting to the claim that "locally adapted" bees exist in such places as Vermont, where there has been neither the time nor the isolation for this to occur.

But I don't actually know how much time and how much isolation would be required, nor if local Vermont bees would ever occur spontaneously without human intervention. And since there is constant human intervention in and around Vermont, we probably never will know. The same goes for the Caribbean: I don't know if they have locally adapted bees, and what the role of humans has been in that case.

As a further disclaimer, I have never attended a University, I have no relevant degrees, and none of my statements is peer reviewed, so if I have all of this wrong—so be it. My primary goal here is to flush the bushes and bring out the local fauna.

PLB