HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2018 14:50:38 -0500
Hello All,

I have a few mystery objects. Images in this Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gs7CbcXrpn4lDfPgBSruu9W0YJzDrERU

These objects were both found during excavations of multicomponent site,
occupied from 1840-1990, in Virginia. The most notable feature uncovered is
a stratified midden dating to the 1862/1863 occupation of the plantation
during Civil War by the Union Army, just after the Battle of
Fredericksburg. This plantation was used as a field hospital and a signal
station that winter.

The first object is a flat, glass disk that is approximately 28.7 mm in
diameter and 2.0 mm thick. It was found clearly within the Army occupation
midden in association with objects such as Minié balls, bayonets, and US
belt buckles and buttons- as well as a mix of domestic materials, such as
glass and ceramic tablewares, likely looted from the big house.

The second object is a brass tube like object. It is approximately 37.2 mm
long with a diameter of 20.5 mm at the top where the smaller hole is
located. The small center hole is about 7.5 mm in diameter. It has a small
divot on the side which appears to be a possible location for a knob. This
object was found in a different unit, approximately five feet from the
disk; however, the layer in which it was found was disturbed with a mix of
both Civil War and post-war objects and sits right at the top of the Civil
War midden feature.

We have been debating about these two objects. Given the site’s use as a
hospital and signal station, one idea we had was that these objects could
be part of a scientific instrument, like a microscope or spy glass (we do
have one letter from a soldier who talks about using a spy glass to peer
from inside the big house to across the river at the Confederate Army).

Another thought we’ve had is that the brass object could be from a
percussion fuse. We did find unexploded ordnance in this same midden
feature (don’t worry, we called the correct authorities).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Lauren