HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Natascha Mehler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:17:01 -0400
Dear all,

at the next SHA meeting in Lisbon in January 2023 we also want to discuss the global spread and consumption of Bellarmine jugs (Rhenish stonewares). We've submitted the following session proposal and are hoping for paper submissions. Please contact us if you are interested in joining this open session. Although this session is advertised in the terrestrial section we specifically welcome papers from underwater archaeologists.

Session No. 194 "Bartmann Goes Global - Exploring the Cultural Contexts, Meaning and Use of Bellarmine Jugs Across the Globe"

The most successful of German products of the early modern period, encountered on sites across the world, is the stoneware container known as the Bellarmine or Bartmann jug. The distinctive Bartmann form was produced in huge quantities in Frechen but other centres along the Rhine. Most were specifically made for export, mainly to England or the Netherlands, and as a result of colonial expansion they travelled across the world and occur on early European settlements across the globe or are found on shipwrecks.
In this symposium we want to discuss the relationships between producer, market and consumer on a global scale and the range of cultural contexts in which the bellarmine jugs are found. We are particularly interested in papers from terrestrial and underwater archaeologists that explore the different global contexts these objects have been found in and how different temporal and geographical spheres impacted on their meaning and use.

Chair: Nigel Jeffries, Museum of London

Organizers: Nigel Jeffries, Natascha Mehler, Christian Röser

Best wishes,

Natascha Mehler, Tübingen University, Germany