HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lyle Browning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:44:57 -0400
I have moved over to totally electronic recording and drawing and WILL not be moving backwards to analog. I use an iPhone with FileMaker Pro, IHikeGPS, magic plan and a couple of discontinued items to do both initial site recording (Phase I) and any Phase II/III work. A Nikon total station is used for geo-location. What I am currently searching for is a mapping tool that will show where I am on Google Maps and give me the coords in SPCS. A handheld gps works well, except that one has to then translate the results to the maps and that has inherent errors. Plus, once given UTM coordinates, what does that really tell us, unless it has a USGS map beneath and the error margins in those are way too much for my liking.

Lyle Browning, RPA