From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:46:14 +0000
"I propose: OAD (dribble), OAS (sublimation, formerly known as vaporization - this would the heaviest lift to change even though it's a more accurate description of the actual process) and OAGly (glycerin)."

This strikes a cord with me as a chemist.  Chem Engineers, who generally know little more about chemistry than what they learned in high school,  are notorious for giving chemicals they work with acronyms.  The net result is they forget all about the actual chemistry going on.  The results can be disastrous.  I know of one case where two workers ended up in the hospital for extended periods and one disabled for life and lucky to live because acronyms resulted in no thought at all about the actual chemistry.  It was a big explosion.  If the people involved had been using chemical names and learned high school chemistry the explosion was a totally obvious possibility which demanded a bunch of lab testing before going to production and making a few thousands of pounds per batch.

How about just saying actual words?  Problems with acronyms:
1.  OAD - What does this mean?  Oxalic acid dribbled in sugar solution?  Oxalic acid dribbled in plain water?
2.  OAS -  Is this oxalic acid sprayed or oxalic acid sublimed?  If sublimed what kind of sublimer?  Some home made rig heated with a blow torch of unproven ability to do the job?
3.  OAGly - Is this oxalic acid and glycerin on cardboard between brood frames?  Or oxalic acid and glycerin deposited on shop towels between frames or on top of the bars over the brood nest?  Or oxalic acid dissolved in glycerin dribbled between frames?

Every one of these methods has been used by someone and results reported.  Then there are the obvious mods some home brew person is going to push like putting an undisclosed essential oil in the mix and now we have OAGlyEO in unknown ratios.  Or perhaps OAGlyLi?

Dick