Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version:
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (65 lines)
I have a really interesting one for you. Perhaps, it's not what you're looking for. Perhaps it is.

As I was finishing the artifact analysis for my dissertation in Boise, Idaho, I realized we had a cartridge ("DWM/K/K" cartridge, centerfire 0.39 in/9.9 mm) that was made by the Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken Aktien-Gesellschaft of Germany most likely between 1896 and 1918. DWM was a major ammunition supplier for the German and Austria-Hungarian Empire during WWI. Unfortunately, the sedimentary layer has been disturbed and contains early 20th century artifacts with some modern plastic. But, this layer is the interface between upper sediments associated with landscaping and historical sediments.

I found out in a conversation with a descendant from the neighborhood that her uncle and father immigrated to the United States from Croatia in 1914 at the outbreak of WWI. Croatia was part of the Austria-Hungary Empire in 1914. In fact, according to her, the men were in transit to the United States and were asked by the ship's captain if they wanted to return back to Croatia in order to fight in the war. They decided to keep going to the US where they eventually made their way to Boise, Idaho. The descendant recalls that her ancestors used to live near where we did the archaeological dig in 2015. She also told me that they were forced to live in the River Street Neighborhood--a place reserved for non-White people in Boise-- because of their Croatian heritage and the fact that their home country was an enemy of the US, especially after 1917.

City directories do not show any Croatian-sounding names living at this address at the time but Sanborns show some outbuildings that were known to have been rented out to tenants at that time.

This is the only non-American cartridge recovered from excavations that covered about 8 urban lots. It is known Eastern European immigrants lived in this neighborhood until they became White and it is likely I could get some more information from the descendant about her ancestors' lives in the neighborhood.

I know this isn't directly related to conflict in the west but:1) It's for a site in the American West 2) is obliquely associated to a social group that was segregated because of their ethnic heritage and affiliation with an enemy of the United States at the time, and 3) revolves around an artifact that was used to kill millions of people in the Great War.

Tell me if this is something I should follow up on.

If you're interested, when do I need to get you an abstract?

Bill White

soon to be Associate Professor

University of California, Berkeley

Sent: Monday, April 24, 2017 12:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Conflict Archaeology in the West session at SHA 2018

Hi all,

I'm chairing a session on Conflict Archaeology in the West at SHA in New Orleans, and I'd love to include anyone who's working on projects (in any stage of completion) in the "West". Let me know where you're working and if you'd be interested in being included in an edited volume on the topic.

Cheers,
Dana

----
Dana L Pertermann, PhD
Director, Center for Southwest Wyoming Regional Archaeology and Federal Artifact Repository
Associate Professor,  Anthropology & Geology
Western Wyoming College
307.382.1743   [log in to unmask]

Texas A&M University '11   Gig 'em!

Chemistry lab: Put on your safety coat. Tie your hair back. Safety goggles. No open-toed shoes. Don't sacrifice safety for modesty, this is dangerous stuff, you might blow something up.

Physics lab: Please tie your hair back. You might want to wear a lab coat and good shoes. Thank you for your cooperation.

Geology lab: Here, lick this rock.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2