HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2016 17:37:25 -0500
From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Buried in all these requests was Eric's interesting question about yellow &
red on non-Spanish sites. Based on my experience in Alabama,  I had always
assumed (perhaps like Eric????) that this color preference was linked to
Spanish sites - or sites that received their ceramics through Spanish trade
outlets (either legally or illegally).

Is this true?  Has anyone written about this?  What is known about these
color choices?     I remember pondering some of these unusually colored
edge wars with Jim Parker in Alabama in the late 1970s and wondering if
these were ethic preferences or if these less popular colors  were being
dumped on settlements on the edge of the English empire !?. So someone
update me with more recent scholarship.

and,yes, Rob, I too would like a copy of your article.

Linda Derry
Site Director, Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission
9518 Cahaba Road, Orrville, AL 36767
park:  334/ 872-8058