From:
Ken Kizer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:59:05 -0500

> I normally do most of my felling trees in the fall because of the cooler
> temperatures and sometime in the spring.  I have noticed that almost 100%
> of the time bees are attracted to the wood chips that are a result of the
> chainsaw.  I can't say that I saw them taking anything back with them but
> they were there crawling and hovering over the chips.

> It didn't seem to matter whether the trees were hardwoods or cedars.  So I
> thought that it may just be the odor of fresh wood attracting them to the
> sites.  As most of you know the sap has fallen from the trees back to the
> roots in the fall when there are no leaves on the trees.  So what is giving
> off the odor that attracts them?

Also, has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the fungi spores are used
medicinally?  Perhaps they are adding it to their propolis compounds when
it is available or storing it for use creating propolis later in the
season.  What if they are using it medicinally to treat against something
in their hive or giving it as part of the bee bread while available to feed
to the young.

Just thoughts.  The only PhD that I have is from the school of hard knocks
with a major in trial and terror.