From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2018 12:26:12 +1100
On 1/03/2018 2:40 AM, James Fischer wrote:
> A beekeeper who likes old bee books cited to me the names of Huber, Von
> Frish, and Tom Seeley, crowning them "giants in the field".
In what meaning are they wrong?  The statement seems factual to me.
> I countered with my own view, that older research is supplanted by newer
> research, making the older work obsolete, and more often than not,
> misleading as compared to the newer work that has supplanted it.

Not necessarily.  Newer work may well add to the earlier work in some
way.  However one can be a beekeeper with nothing later than
Langstroth's book in your hand.  At times the research is only
confirming what the industry is doing.  Sure we now have innovations
thatmake live easier that he did not have.
Huber, Von Frish and Seeley among others have done some really elegant
work.  Work that I get much pleasure following.  And of course when some
new 'problem' or technology emerges research is imperative.

Geoff Manning