Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2018 15:24:59 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
"So why do those in the know (go by the book) feed 1:1 sugar syrup to
packages when there is little forage to forage on?"

Randy has a study he did on his web site that basically translates to it takes so many pounds of sugar to draw ten frames and the concentration is irrelevant.  I feed about a 5:3 mix as that is as strong as I can make it without heating the water.  My reason is I am lazy and would rather refill the feeder once versus refilling twice.  I have tried weaker sugar water and never saw any advantage personally.  Weaker sugar solutions grow black fuzzies faster and require more work refilling feeders.

Perhaps the 1:1 idea came from measurements of nectars which are often about 1:1 when bees are working the flowers?

I have also heard it argued that if the solution is too strong the bees will plug out the brood chamber with stores slowing colony growth because there is no space to raise brood.  I have never seen this happen at all as long as there was over head space available to the bees.  Even during a dearth I find bees will draw comb just find if space is needed when being fed sugar water.  But then maybe my bees are locally adapted to  5:3?  :>)

Dick

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2