HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:46:37 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (59 lines)
Tom,

Please shoot me an email, [log in to unmask], and provide me with your email address. For some reason, I haven't received your initial email from the HISTARCH listserv, just the follow-up emails responding to your inquiry, so I'm not sure what your email address is. I'd be happy to talk with you about the report that Dr. Gregory mentions in his email below.

Best regards,

Joe

Joe B. Jones
Director

The College of William & Mary
Center for Archaeological Research
P. O. Box 8795, Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795

757-221-1581 (office); 757-221-2564 (fax)
Email: [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of michael gregory
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Artifact Assemblage for Civil War era Sibley Tent?

Thomas,

Check out reports by the William and Mary Center for Archaeological Research. During the early/mid-1990s, Tom Higgins et al. produc ed at least one report discussing the excavation of a Union camp in Gloucester Co., VA where they ID'ed the presence of Sibley tents. This is grey literature.
Unfortunately I don't have a copy of this report but it can be ordered from WMCAR.

19. The Civil War at Gloucester Pointby T. F. Higgins III, C. M. Downing, K. E. Stuck, G. J. Brown and K. J. Reinhard

Mitigation of Site 44GL358
Associated with the Proposed Route 17 Coleman Bridge Project, Gloucester County, Virginia
1995 vi + 94 pp. 66 figs., 2 tables, 2 appdx (artifact inventory on microfiche).

Dwelling remains of Sibley tents and stove/furnace features were determined to be a domestic component of a Union army camp. The report provides important information about daily camp life through analyses of military material culture, structural data, faunal and parasitological remains, and historical information. Research also focuses on the social and spatial organization of the camp within the context of the Gloucester Point defenses.

Hope this helps.

my best

mike

michael m. gregory, phd
Professional Lecturer
Department of Anthropology
DePaul University
Chicago, IL

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2