HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:56:34 -0500
Sender:
From:
John Worth <[log in to unmask]>
I'd like to request help or suggestions regarding an unusual copper-alloy
object that was found in general midden context at the Tristan de Luna
settlement site in Pensacola, Florida, and which may therefore date to the
mid-16th century (and would thus join our substantial and growing
assemblage of Spanish materials from the expedition).  However, it might
also derive from 20th-century occupation in the same vicinity, possibly
resulting from bioturbation from above.  The object is thick-walled and
heavy, perhaps cast bronze, and has a narrow hole at the ball-shaped tip,
as well as two narrow holes just below the tip at different positions on
opposite sides.  It also has a larger hole off-center in the base, which
seems broken off, and which has localized corrosion traces around the
base.  Despite its appearance, my impression is that it is too light and
small to be a nautical sounding weight, and it is too heavy to be some sort
of whistle (two of the suggestions that have been made).

The object is pictured in the album here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johneworth/albums/72157685583409904

​Thanks in advance!​

--
John E. Worth, Ph.D.