HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2017 04:22:29 -0500
Susan,

Many good references have already been provided, but there are worlds
more: see http://www.claypipes.com

There is also is a newer pipe volume out than Smoke's monograph which
was written by J. Byron Sudbury (PhD, RPA)
under contract with the NPS that is a very useful 19th century volume
(with pretty
incredible photographs [the cover version on slick paper is worth the
extra cost]).

[By the way, Pfieffer's volume is paper back not cloth--the reviewers'
blurbs have erred in that
statement.]

The main illustrated survey of all USA pipemakers remains Sudbury's 1979
article that
was published in the British Archaeological Reports pipe series:Historic
Clay Tobacco

Pipemakers in the United States of America. /The Archaeology of the Clay
Tobacco Pipe/, II.

Brit Arch Reports Interl Series 60:151-341. It is long out of print;
there have been two copies

sold on eBay the last two years for around $80.00 (which, most
unfortunately, means the

original owner died and the book was resold by the heirs...)._

_

_Regards,

_Bob Skiles

_