HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 12:07:06 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Keith,

To follow up on the conversation, particularly the Laser Scanning vs. Photogrammetry question, several folks have compared these methods and found that they can produce similar results. Of course, both have their pros and cons. If you, or anyone else on the list, is interested, Rachel Optiz and Fred Limp presented a compelling talk several years ago about this exact topic: https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/blog/close-range-photogrammetry-vs-3d-scanning-for-archaeological-documentation/

Photogrammetry software has advanced quite a bit since then, and really does offer a low-cost alternative to laser scanning, when completed by an expert user. Here is a result from a recent digital documentation project I undertook with the Georgia DNR folks on Ossabaw Island. We are using photogrammetry to document the ruins of several tabby cabins on the island (Middle Place and North Point plantations). You can view one of our finished models on SketchFab: https://skfb.ly/6o6YV As you can see, a skilled use of photogrammetry can capture a very high level of detail, in this case accurately modeling individual shells protruding from the tabby walls. I should note, these are reduced models uploaded for public outreach, and as a part of our long-term data storage strategy (we'll most likely upload point clouds and meshed models to tdar at the conclusion of the project).

We also flew several drone flights to place the remains in their larger context, and completed a photogrammetry project of a extant tabby cabin that was occupied until the 1980s, which we documented using photogrammetry and photos from one of the drone flights. Among our many deliverables is a set of HABS/HAER drawings of the various remains.

I can provide more information regarding this type of work. I also undertake this work on a contract basis with a company, and I'm sure we could provide a low-cost quote (travel plus a few days of field and lab/processing work). We can also help present the information to the public in engaging ways. You can learn more about the company, Digital Heritage Interactive, LLC, by visiting our website www.digital-heritage.net<http://www.digital-heritage.net> 😊

Best,

Ed

P.S. I'm still using my UFL account for HistArch, but please feel free to email me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Edward González-Tennant, PhD, RPA

Principal Investigator, Digital Heritage Interactive LLC

VP for Emerging Technologies, ICOMOS-ICIP

Visiting Lecturer, UCF - Anthropology

-----Original Message-----

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Doms

Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:18 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Looking for large scale 3D/laser scanning in Philadelphia area

We have a ruins of a small stone building built on an irregular outcrop of bed rock.  We are outside Philadelphia.   Normal mapping of this complex little building has not proven effective.  We are looking for someone or group who has experience in 3D scanning or laser scanning to help map the inside and outside of the ruins.  Does anyone in the region have any experience with this type of survey or know of someone who does?

Keith R. Doms

Newlin Grist Mill

Site Manager

219 S. Cheyney Rd.

Glen Mills, PA  19342

(610) 459-2359

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]:[log in to unmask]>>

ATOM RSS1 RSS2