HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Debbie Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:23:03 +0000
My husband and I conducted gravestone studies in southeast and southwest Virginia (our respective home regions) in graduate school. We came across countless misspellings, backwards numbers and letters and other writing mistakes on "homemade" gravestones. These were either field stone with letters and dates scratched on them, 20th century poured concrete markers or, on rare occasions, wooden markers. These were all in very rural, economically challenged areas of mixed demographics. We did not find any specific trends for the misspellings and concluded that it was a literacy issue. Many of the ones from SWVA were modern, 1950s-1970s, including those of my own great grandparents who could not read or write.

Debbie