HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel B (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 13:37:53 +0000
I'd say you might want to determine literacy rates in the area and for the time period before ascribing any kind of meaning to what appear to be common mistakes. I suspect these kinds of reversed letters begin to decline with improved literacy rates, and also with the advent of the mortuary industry (and mass-produced, commercial headstones), which really got rolling around 1910. As a sort of rough measure, nearly 20% of the population was illiterate at the time the headstone was made, and a good percent above that would have been considered marginally literate. If the person wasn't in the business of producing headstones - which seems likely, given the time period - correct spelling wouldn’t have been a priority.

https://nces.ed.gov/naal/lit_history.asp

A quick spin through some of the Internet's finest information on reversed letters seems to suggest a lot of false paths, so tread carefully there. Not everything is a code that leads to secret treasure.

Daniel B. Davis
Administrative Branch Manager, Cultural Resources Section
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Environmental Analysis
200 Mero Street
Frankfort, KY 40622
(502) 564-7250 or (502) 782-5013
KYTC Archaeology and KYTC Cultural Historic