HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Claire Kimberly Maass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2016 01:59:53 +0000
Histarchers,

I am very glad to see that the topic of our session has created a stimulating and provocative discussion about the potential of archaeology to speak to issues related to disease, medical practices, and public health. Part of our aim when putting together this panel (as I am sure is also the case with other sessions) was to open a space for dialogue amongst archaeologists  with diverse methodological, thematic, and regional expertise. It is our firm belief that bringing together people with such a wide variety of perspectives and opinions can enrich archaeological discourse, regardless of the particular theme or topic. By collaborating , debating , and learning from one another, we believe that we we will be better able to develop novel solutions to archaeological questions, and inspire new avenues for research.

All of this is to say that there is no single model for archaeological investigations of medicine and disease. As the original email stated, our interests include not only biological and ecological perspectives, but also  social and political ones. For example, one of my colleagues will be attending medical school, and is interested in using osteoarchaeology to develop a more historically-situated understandings of disease and medical treatment practices; another is excavating a plantation infirmary to address questions of the social politics of medical treatment in colonial slaveholding contexts; and another is using their biology and genetics background to look at quarantine contexts.  Meanwhile, in my own research I am investigating how economic interests on the one hand, and Christian ethics on the other, shaped particular attitudes toward/valuations of enslaved African laborers on religious estates in colonial Peru. In particular, these logics were both grounded in a discourse about the body, and how it should be treated within an organized system of labor. Therefore, I am interested in examining how Catholic slaveholders negotiated these two interests in their everyday treatment of enslaved persons on their estates, and how the resulting system of practices affected the physical health and well-being of the laborers themselves.

What brings these diverse projects together is the shared conviction that  historicizing our knowledge of medical treatment practices, patterns in the proliferation and treatment of disease, etc, will  enable us to better understand contemporary situations, and in doing so, perhaps help us develop more informed strategies for confronting issues in the future.

Once again, thank you all  for the comments. As young professionals, we really value the support, suggestions, and  critiques of other researchers in our field. This is a learning experience for us, and so all feedback--positive and negative--is valuable as we continue to shape our own projects. And so, we  look forward to continuing the discussions this spring!

Very best,

Claire Maass