From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2017 13:31:26 -0500
Bob said "A friend at the U of Guelph convinced me 20 years ago, after I
proved to myself mathematically that the queen didn't need 2 or more boxes,
that single deeps were the way to go.  He said then, and still does, that
most bees in Ontario are housed in single brood boxes all year. "

*I live near Albany NY.  We usually have several consecutive nights of
temperatures below 0 F, and several days when the daytime temperatures
never reach 0 F.  I agree that a single deep properly provisioned is
sufficient for bees to over winter.  That said, a single deep plus a medium
is a whole lot easier to manage, especially when it comes to controlling
swarming, and that is what I use.  Two deeps are just too difficult to
manage and it is a shame that new beekeepers are taught that two deeps are
the way to go. *