HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Blondino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2019 11:04:30 -0400
Copper sulphate is, as you mentioned, unpleasant stuff in its pure crystal
form, but is also readily soluble in water. As a result, I would assume
that by now it has been sufficiently distributed through the privy soils
that I doubt it's present in any concentrations that you should be
concerned about beyond wearing long sleeves and gloves while digging and
screening. They put the stuff in kids' chemistry sets, so it isn't
exceptionally dangerous if you take basic precautions. As Bill said, you
could always get a bucket auger down there and pull some soil samples.
Since you only need to look for copper, pXRF might be a cheap and easy way
to check concentrations without running a full geochem suite.