Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2019 15:00:09 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I'm searching for a symposium that would be a good fit for a paper I'd like to present at the SHAs--on the material culture of modern plastics. The focus of the presentation is on development of an archaeological methodology to explore single-use plastics in our oceans. Storytelling, combined with a serious methodological approach, I'm hoping the talk will be entertaining and applicable to a critical environmental issue.

If there's a better way to find a symposium--I'm sure there is--please let me know. Draft abstract below. Cheers, Kimberly Wooten

Archaeology of Plastics: On Overcoming and Environmentalism

In October 2019, eXXpedition launched a round-the-world sailing voyage that emphasized “citizen science” in understanding single-use plastic in our oceans and the impacts of those toxins on women’s health. The mission of the ongoing two-year trip—which features 30 voyages, 300 women, and over 38,000 nautical miles—is to focus on “unseen” women in the arts and sciences. The aim is to create “ambassadors” who will bring their experiences back into their communities, locally and globally. This presentation focuses on the first leg of the journey, from Plymouth, England, to São Miguel in the Portuguese Azores. Invited to join the crew as an historical archaeologist, Ms. Wooten’s talk focuses on overcoming one’s fears to pursue new directions in the field, activism in archaeology, and the material culture of modern plastics.

########################################################################

Access the HISTARCH Home Page and Archives:
https://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=HISTARCH

Unsubscribe from the HISTARCH List:
https://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?SUBED1=HISTARCH&A=1

########################################################################

ATOM RSS1 RSS2