From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2017 07:58:49 -0500
Speaking of Richard Taylor, I used his little book on hand dipping beeswax
candles 30+ years ago and made a set of wicking jigs and a dipping vessel
as per his instructions.  I dug it all out of storage this fall and made a
beautiful set of hand dipped candles.  I made a quick search on line to
find a copy of his booklet but came up empty.  Does anyone have a copy they
could share?

He describes a simple jig using wooden top and bottom bars not unlike a
brood frame with dowels for 'end bars'.  They are strung with wick and I
get 10 candles per jig.  It takes about 5 hours to get the wax melted and
perform about 20 dips to get a good sized 12 inch tapered candle.  I do 120
candles per batch.

 I discovered Tim Trescott's Beelite 'Wax works wax recovery business in
the NC mountains last year and let him process and clean up my wax.  The
results were phenomenal:  Beautiful wax!  Visiting Tim is not unlike going
into Dante's inferno, boiling wax and presses inside a dark shed.  I have
photos of candle making  if anyone wants to see.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC