From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2017 11:31:35 -0500
> disturbing a winter cluster was a very bad idea and should be avoided at all costs.
> I sublimate OA each year in early winter

Perhaps (I don't know) the distinction here is that you are doing this in "early winter" and the Washington State folks don't have a severe winter like we do in NY/New England. I would suspect the effect would be more harmful in January and February when the clusters are very tight and the weather is often 0-20 F (-17 to -7 C). On the other hand, if the bees are tightly clustered it's just as likely the vapors wouldn't even penetrate the cluster. In any case, I think it's generally a mistake to disturb the winter cluster unless there's a damn good reason for it.

PLB