From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:59:18 +1000
> Another suggestion was to put out dry pollen substitute, so the bees can bring it back to the hive.  I would be interested to know, if folks do that, how successful is the practice?

Here in Australia it is very common to put our dry mix substitute.  This because of the problem already identified with SHB feeding on any patties in the hive.  It can be de fatted soy flour or some other make up mixes including a few different ingredients.  It is put out in drum in a tree.  The drum is on its side with some of the lid cut away to allow access.  In the tree to keep away from cattle who also love the substitute.  The drum keeps it dry if it rains.

It is a quite unusual that the dry mix can be put in a top feeder on the hive and the bees tend to ignore it but put outside the hive and they go for it.

Interesting to see the bees roll around in the dry mix and then put it on their legs in the same manner as pollen.  These mixes are known to keep some brood in the hive on some of our pollen efficient Eucalypt flows.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia