HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2018 14:01:35 +1000
Hi Shane
I've got some pipe assemblages with me at the moment.  Happy to
measure lengths and weigh and provide you raw data.  Some complete
and longish stems among them.  Not sure I've got any as long as 6
inches.
Beware of EBay pipe extrapolations - modern ones are often slip-cast
or hand pressure moulded, so they are not as dense as 19th century
pipes and if they use modern casting clays this could be very
different from the ball-clay used in trad pipes.  The unusual light
weight in the hand of modern replica pipes is a dead give-away, so its
quite a notable difference.
cheers
denis
Denis Gojak