HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Claudia Chemello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:56:13 -0400
Hi Linda,
I would highly recommend that you get in touch with an archaeological
conservator in the area where the excavation is occurring - is it in
California where you are located? It does not sound from your description
that you have very damp leather, but it should be slowly dried as you are
doing. There will be shrinkage, how much depends on how degraded the
leather is and how quickly it is drying. You can measure the leather
periodically to monitor this (two stainless steel pins placed in the
leather a good distance apart and the distance between them measured with
calipers), and you could use a moisture meter to measure.

The pelts can become quite stiff afterwards. The heavily charred leather
may be very fragile as well.

Regards,
Claudia

*Claudia Chemello MSc.(Cons), FAIC*
Co-founder | Senior Conservator
Terra Mare Conservation LLC
Charleston, SC USA
+ 1 734 358-4854
Follow us on Instagram! <https://www.instagram.com/terramareconservation/>

Coordinator ICOM-CC Metals Working Group
www.icom-cc.org