In-Reply-To:
MIME-Version:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (52 lines)
I concur. 

Chuck 

Take the opportunity to plan, have the courage to act upon it, and the intestinal fortitude to own it.

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William Lockhart
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 10:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New book on 19th Century Coffin Hardware

I can't speak for all, of course, but I appreciate "self-promotion."  I wish more people would post reports, books, and articles.  This is a perfect venue for discovering what others are doing.

Bill

Bill Lockhart
Professor of Sociology
New Mexico State University
2400 Scenic Dr.
Alamogordo, NM 88310
575-439-3732
[log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Megan E. Springate
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New book on 19th Century Coffin Hardware

Pardon the self-promotion; I hope Histarch members will find this useful.

Left Coast Press has recently published my book, Nineteenth-Century Coffin Hardware in America, in both hard- and soft-cover.

It is available directly from Left Coast Press, as well as major online book retailers.
http://www.lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=535

Using data from archaeological excavations, patent filings, and marketing catalogs the book provides a broad view of the introduction, spread, and use of mass-produced coffin hardware in North America. At the book's heart is a standardized typology of coffin hardware that recognizes stylistic and functional changes and a fresh look at the meanings and uses of the various motifs and decorative elements. Within the discussion of mass-produced coffin hardware in North America is new work connecting the North American industry with its British antecedents and a fresh analysis of the prime factors that led to the introduction and spread of mass-produced coffin hardware. Extensively illustrated with examples of coffin hardware to aid scholars and professionals in identification.

"An indispensable reference work for this fascinating area of the material culture of deathways. " - Edward L. Bell, author, Vestiges of Mortality & Remembrance

" Megan Springate has compiled an important and groundbreaking work that includes a typology of coffin hardware, a discussion of the social mean related to these artifacts, as well as a compelling history of mass produced coffin hardware found in North America. Important to this work is an overview of the social history of burial practices and associated coffin material culture. Her research also confronts the complexity of linking coffin furniture to religion, gender, and ethnicity. *Coffin Hardware in the Nineteenth-century America* is a significant work that is a necessary reference for archaeologists." - Paul A. Shackel, Professor, University of Maryland

--Megan.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2