From:
Mary Wagner-Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 01:02:51 +0000
 PTPMother of twins, struggling to pump enough.  These are babies #5 &#6, successfully breastfed singletons, never had an issue.  Mother on thyroid replacement, had levels checked and adjusted as she was hyperthyroid after giving birth.  Has been on thyroid replacement since teenage years when treated for hyperthyroid (don't have details of what happened).
Initially mom fully breastfeeding while she was off work, babies nursing "all the time," mom rolling with it.  I did witness this frequency.  Babies to me looked a little skinny, then weighed them and found that they were actually WNL.  Anyway, mom goes back to work, pumping, pumped 19 ounces, babies needed 28.  Adjusted thyroid, started Domperidone; able to express 26oz one time, then back to 20 oz.   Uses Medela Symphony.
Now Domperidone 20 mg, 3 times a day; still pumping about 20 oz.  babies now older so take 32ish ounces total while mom is gone (either 10 or 12 hour shifts, I forget).  Babies nursing on cue when she's home, admittedly frequently.  Mom is both an RN and a LLL Leader, easily rolls with frequent feeds, admits that she can't imagine getting any pumping in because babies nurse so often.  Again, I think her perception is accurate since she really does expect frequent feeds and nurses whenever there's a need
Babies are 3 months old.  What else did I forget to tell you?  What else might she do?
Thanks so much wise ones
Mary L. Wagner-Dais, MS, MFT, IBCLC, LLLL