From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 01:54:03 +0000
Fipronil is a slow acting central nervous system toxin in insects.  It has a soil half life of several months so could be effective as a ground drench around hives for beetles I suppose.  It is highly toxic to bees, some birds and some fish.  It is modestly toxic to mammals.  It was blamed as a contributor to CCD by the French.  Not something I would use around my bees personally.

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken