From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2016 22:37:17 -0400

Jeff Pettis and his colleagues wrote:

> Clearly low sperm viability is linked to colony performance and laboratory and field data provide evidence that temperature extremes are a potential causative factor.

As you can see, the scientists refer to temperature as a "potential cause" -- they don't ever say "we know without a doubt." As a matter of fact, they tracked queen shipments using thermocouples and found:

> The temperature probes from breeder one in the shipment with lower viability (USPS) recorded a low spike in temperature of 8°C for two hours (46°F). All other shipments showed temperature values within an acceptable range of 15–35°C (59F-95°F).

They conclude:
> Shipping temperatures is one possible explanation for the observed low sperm viability in queens. Additional research is needed on drone health and exposure to pesticides prior to mating and on the possible role of pesticides in queen health at the colony level.

As a matter of fact, these latter may ultimately prove to be more important. All the more reason to leave room for doubt in any scientific study. What scientists look for is a high probability of there being a connection, not the absence of doubt.

PLB