From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:15:16 -0400
We also train our skunks.  When we see scratch marks in front of a hive,
we sprinkle a bit (~1/2 tsp) of lye crystals (drain cleaner from hardware
store) on the soil.  The skunks don't like the taste when they later roll
bees on the soil (in order to kill them).

I've not tried lye - it's nasty stuff.  Hot pepper, spikes strips, barricades - none of these have worked for us.  Strychnine eggs are no longer legal, and there's too much chance of a pet or something else getting.

For our research projects, we place our hives on sawhorse stands - lots easier on the back, and skunks can't climb well - so it's 100% proof of protection from skunks.  Not a practical solution for large numbers  of colonies, we max out at about 60 hives on stands.