From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:12:24 -0400
Justin wrote:

>This seems like a very cheap and easy system. Thank you for taking the time
>to put that together. Cheaper than getting a Premiere 1 net.....

It does look nice and easy to set up...and cheaper.  The other advantage of the mesh electric fence that may be of interest to some is that it also effectively keeps skunks away from my hives.  There are lots of skunks around here ( at least one living under each of my barns, but my Better Half won't let me trap them).  When I used to take the fence down in the fall, I often would see signs of skunk activity at the hive entrances - scratch marks on the landing boards, bee bits about - and the bees would be cranky the next day.  Even if it shorts out in the snow, the mesh is tight enough to keep big mama out, and by then the bees aren't likely to break cluster if a young un does get through and scratches at the entrance.  Mice can get through year round, though, so definitely need mouse guards.  As for testing it, I like the grass blade technique Randy shows, although I just touch the back of my index finger to the fence (fewer nerve endings).  Have gotten used to the shock over the years, and it's not so bad, when you are expecting it.  Although I will admit, once, when I was working on the fence shirtless and forgot to turn it off, I leaned over the fence and the hot wire caught me in the armpit.  I not only saw God, I had a long conversation with Her regarding Her sense of humor.

Bill
Claremont, NH