From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:20:49 +0000
"Will a "100 mile" charger set up on 350' of line cause a smaller animal to explode on contact?"

The short answer is no.  Electricity has two components, voltage and amperage.  Those are equal to pressure and volume of water coming from a hose where voltage equals pressure and amperage equals volume.  Any charger on the market carefully controls both voltage and amperage.  Voltage allows the electricity to jump past some insulation such as fur on the animal.  Amperage is what gives the shock that is felt.  It is critical that amperage is carefully controlled as it is amperage that kills.  It only takes a small voltage at high amps to kill.  While thousands of volts at low enough amperage can not even be felt unless it is by a tiny burn where the arc happened.  What you want on a bear fence is a lot of voltage to get thru the thick fur but little more amperage than needed for a much smaller animal.

"Is poly tape good enough?"  I have heard of people using it in bear country and it appears to work.  I think probably it depends on how persistent the bear is and a lot on if it has eaten hives before.  Enough people suggest the bacon on the wire trick I think it must be a good idea.  It is going to also attract every dog, coyote and raccoon in the area for one test.  So, I would talk to the land owner a bunch about options and get his input on what is ok by him. Rural folks are used to protecting and containing animals so he may well have some good suggestions for you.  At any rate I do not think any charger on the market is going to kill anything beside slugs on rainy days.  I know mine will kill slugs as I kill one or two every rain.  I hear them arcing until they dry out and no longer conduct electricity.  Even with slugs an insulator that stands off from the post farther would stop the slug deaths.

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken