From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2015 10:48:03 -0400
Dewey Caron wrote an entire book about observation hives some years ago.  This year, Frank Linton published a new book on observation hives.

I've had them on campus for years.  Some tips:

1) If you want a sustainable hive that stays in place year round, don't make a skimpy one frame hive - it will be always be on verge of dying out or swarming.  I find for our climate, 4 or 5 frame is a minimum.

2) Use clear Lexan for safety - especially if you build a hive that may be carried around.  Kids + Glass (especially single pane, non-safety) just too dangerous.  Plexi not always a good choice, one type is very brittle or turns brittle from UV.

3) Be sure you can close it off to disconnect and move - you don't want to be swapping frames inside a room.

4) Do not mount glass in a groove, you'll never get it out to clean - and it will eventually need to have the wax and propolis removed.

5) Remember, little kids are as excited or more than older kids.  Whereas the older ones will stand and look, the little ones will pull up chairs or pull things up to see better, and they may push on glass, each other.  A sturdy step stand with rail for them may be warranted.