From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:50:55 -0400
Neonicotinoids

During the process of keeping appointments and shopping, I have seen many small farms growing vegetable crops for home use and retail sales at vegetable stands.  This is in the area of southern Maryland, USA.
What I saw growing amazed me.
They were similar crops to what I grow.  The difference being their plants all looked great.  My cucumbers were getting yellow spots and holes and drying up from the bacterial wilt caused by the striped cucumber beetle.  My egg plant looked as if it was shot with a shot gun due to the flea beetle.  My squash wilts, falls over and drys up due the the squash vine borer.
I had been looking at the plants from the roadway.  I decided I had to see a close up to make sure I was seeing right.  I pulled off onto a dirt driveway of a farm.  All of their plants were beautiful.  I drove up the the vegetable stand and explained my dilemma.
I was given the name of the insecticide that was put into the ground at planting time.  It was “ADMIRE.”  Never heard of it.  Looked it up on the internet; it is a neonicotinoid.
I think we know that it kills bees, but what about all the other pollinators that visit these plants.  Is it possible that if we keep killing them year after year that one day there won’t be many pollinators left?
Bill Bartlett