From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:45:54 -0500
If you are really worried about this a good cleaning followed by a rinse
with concentrated nitric acid will pacify stainless by making a good, dense
oxide coating.  In fact  storage tanks for concentrated nitric acid are
generally made of stainless steel.

Thanks Dick,  my thoughts also,  but I am referring to storage for HFCS in
stainless to be fed to bees.  HMF and humans is not a concern,  hence many
stainless bottleing tanks.

I am going to buy a tank (large) for HFCS so I can buy in tanker loads.
Used stainless tanks are around the same price as new plastic  but obviously
a lot more durable,  no worries about hitting with a fork truck,  or
buggering up the tank threads.  But Given the research  it seems steel" is
not best,  although  as mentined,  Not sure if any of the research seperates
the two,  or the factor of heat.

I know High temp and steel = bad.   But that's as far as the data shows.  I
am  wondering if its stored at say 80 degrees in stainless if that would be
okay, and if so is there a "time limit"  It will take me most of a year to
use a full tanker load.

Charles