Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:08:44 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Absolutely - when accompanied by proper instruction in post-frenotomy care, exercises, continued breastfeeding etc.  AND when done by a qualified, experienced person.  I've seen frenotomies "done" where the tiniest of snips was done in a token way and the frenotomy was considered ineffective.   There needs to be a WHOLE LOT MORE coordination between ENT's and dentists in this field.  I see a lot of fighting going on between the professions and have heard lots of negativity about the other side.  Not helpful to moms and babies.  If pediatricians are doing them, they need to have good instruction on technique.   I am retiring soon and I would only hope that all professions who SAY they are intent on promoting mother-infant bonding and relationship through breastfeeding would respect what each has to offer the other and pay attention to the evidence and not just their own anecdotal experience!  JHL had a great article showing 4 different professionals' approaches to frenotomies a couple of years back.  It was very interesting and eye-opening.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pat Young

Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:24 AM

Subject: frenotomy

J Fam Pract 2015 Feb; 64(2) 126-127  "Does frenotomy help infants with tongue- tie overcome breastfeeding difficulties?"  Starts off with "Probably not."  

I don't find that to be true in the babies I see.  How about everyone else?  Are they worth it or not?  Pat in SNJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2