From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2015 11:39:11 -0600
Just after I posted about the "I work for the mother" vs the "I work for the baby" debate, here came across my desk an excellent article about breastfeeding in Mississippi. It addresses beliefs, barriers, etc. Here is the link, I hope all of you will read it.

http://hechingerreport.org/breastfeeding-and-the-achievement-gap/

Here are some other stories about Mississippi, a poor rural state.

http://hechingerreport.org/special-reports/mississippi-learning/

and you may notice one of the other impoverished areas they write about is New Orleans, which is where I was born and lived the first 49 years of my life and the first 26 yrs of my career.

Here's some basic info on the mission of the Hechinger Report, from their site: "You’ll find many of these stories in the pages of the nation’s biggest newspapers, magazines and websites and on the air of its most prominent broadcasters. That’s because we provide our work to them for free, to increase awareness about the important stories our journalists are reporting.... a deep repository of some of the best journalism about education. The Hechinger Report is an independent nonprofit, nonpartisan organization based at Teachers College, Columbia University. We rely on support from foundations and individual donors to carry out our work. Content published in The Hechinger Report — or content produced and disseminated by any of its collaborators with funding from the Hechinger Institute — is editorially independent of its funders, and does not necessarily reflect the views of Teachers College, its trustees, administration or faculty.  Our journalists ask tough questions and report on facts that contradict the status quo and threaten powerful interests."

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC

Laurie Wheeler | RN | Nursing | BMH-UNION COUNTY

Phone: (662) 538-2395 | [log in to unmask]

Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Baptist.

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete it immediately.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email...