HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2017 11:23:34 +0800
A fragment of a 7.5mm thick tile is illustrated at

https://app.boxcom/shared/static/dcl89lpnbsymh7smsm53g66az5pthbjd.jpg

It was found among the soil pulled up by an uprooted tree in the
grounds of St Andrews Church, Balmain, Sydney, Australia.

The church was built in 1855.

The green vegetation resembles bamboo shoots, which if I am correct
suggests a Chinese origin for the tile.

As for the pink shape, my first thought (that I can't take seriously)
was a Koala with a  blue nose. But I suppose it could be a Red Panda,
painted with artist's licence.

The horizontal patterns of various colours are part of the painted-on
design.

I would welcome any suggestions about the date and manufacturing place
of this tile.

Richard Wright