From:
April Graves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 22:21:31 -0400
I've been asked to consult with a Mom who has placenta percreta (placenta has grown through the uterine wall and is wrapped around her bladder). The doctors will deliver her baby, @34 weeks gestation (this Wednesday). The plan is  to clamp off the cord but LEAVE the placenta in her uterus (to let it slowly "die") and several weeks after delivery then the doctors will go back in and perform a hysterectomy. During the waiting period she'll take the medication methergine, to control postpartum bleeding.
It is my understanding that when it comes to milk supply, the plactenta always wins. So I'm not sure if I should I instruct her to start pumping right after delivery to see what kind of supply she can establish, despite the placenta being in her body still...or wait until the placenta is removed with her hysterectomy?

April Graves, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Hospital based lactation consultant