From:
Eva Hoebee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 16:02:36 +1000
/Great article to get your head around.

Cheers
Eva Hoebee
Australia/

  Modern Myths about Tongue-tie: The Unnecessary Controversy Continues

September 01, 2015
</blog/2015/9/1/modern-myths-about-tongue-tie-the-unnecessary-controversy-continues> /
Jennifer Kennedy </blog/?author=5363c943e4b0144153136ada>

23 years ago when I was doing my research on tongue-tie’s impact on
breastfeeding and developing the Assessment Tool For Lingual Frenulum
Function, the most problematic attitude I ever encountered was
resistance to the idea that tongue-tie could create a breastfeeding
problem. (1). This resistance was purely due to lack of knowledge about
the physiology of infant suck. Occasionally back then, I might have met
someone whose resistance was ego-driven: the “Not Invented Here” line of
thinking but that was the exception rather than the rule. Then, the
challenge for those of us who understood how tongue-tie impacted infant
suck was to educate, educate, and educate some more.

Today, the controversy over various aspects of the tongue-tie phenomenon
are liberally laced with ego-driven resistance. It seems as if the
entire world of practitioners has something to say about tongue-tie,
regardless of level of expertise on the subject. And now the notions of
“ lip” and “buccal” tie, and to complicate matters even more, this thing
called “Tethered Oral Tissue,”  have entered the picture to further
confuse parents and practitioners alike. Is this labyrinth of
information, misinformation and dis-information helping us to get
treatment for truly tongue-tied babies?

A dialectic between smart people who have no vested interest other than
to help others remains ever useful. An out and out brawl between various
factions of people spouting dogma that is liberally littered with poorly
informed opinion does not. I am all for helping moms and babies, but I
am definitely for helping them using solid evidence so that they get the
right kind of help, at the right time, from the right practitioner.

I vote that we get back to anatomy and physiology/AND/to using the
evidence to support what we do as practitioners and as parents faced
with making the decision to have surgery performed on our infants. Let’s
start with what we*/know/*about tongue-tie.

*The facts:*

*Fact 1:*Tongue-tie does exist. It even has its own gene(s) that codes
for it.

*Fact 2:*It manifests with various syndromes, which in and of themselves
are relatively rare.

*Fact 3:*It is hereditary.

*Fact 4:*It has for a very long time had a clear definition:*/Tongue
mobility restriction due to a tight and/or short lingual frenum./*

*Fact 5:*It is a*congenital anomaly*. Regardless of whether tongue-tie
is genetic or epi-genetic, it occurs during development in the embryonic
period.

*Fact 6:*Because tongue-tie, by definition, is impaired tongue mobility
due to a congenital anomaly, it can cause deficits in all functions that
require optimal tongue mobility, whether that be breastfeeding,
bottle-feeding, chewing, protecting the airway, cleaning the teeth, or
helping to form speech sounds. The degree to which this happens is
somewhat known but more research needs doing before we have a firm grasp
on this. Only then can we fine tune our treatment approach.

*Fact 7:*The incidence of tongue-tie was only hypothesized until of
late. A study out of Australia has shown that the incidence hovers
around*5% of all people*. (2) More research needs doing before we know
an exact figure. The problem with incidence figures in the past was that
no standardized assessment was being used. Dr. Todd, however, used a
standardized, evidence-based screening tool for three years in a row in
a large sample of infants. He was able to come up with what appears to
be a very solid incidence statistic as a result. Please note here that
Mother Nature does not create catastrophic increases in incidence of
congenital anomalies unless some catastrophic epigenetic influence is at
play. To claim that there is a rise in incidence to the tune of 20-50%
is a clear misunderstanding of how epigenetic influences function
epidemiologically.

*Fact 8:*Scissors frenotomy performed by trained practitioners has
little to no risk. (No such data exists for laser, electrocautery or
scalpel frenectomy.)

*Fact 9:*Breastfeeding improves post-frenotomy/frenectomy as long as
tongue function is normalized as a result. Not all babies will show such
improvement. (3) Anecdotally,*many*babies will need further therapy to
restore proper tongue-function post-surgery.

*Fact 10:*Any connective tissue in the body (frena included) can be
tight and impair optimal function. At what point that tightness can so
severely impact function that no compensation can over-ride the
restriction is an important question to put to the researchers.